The Change Sponsor provides leadership for the change programme. Their role is to be the visible change champion, articulating the vision and direction. The level of leadership is dependent on the level of change.
Change at the strategic level impacting the organisation, employees and customers requires an executive, CEO, COO or board level Change Sponsor.
Change at the business level for minor systems or process improvements without significant impact on the organisation may only require a management or GM Change Sponsor.
The differentiator is the role the Change Sponsor will play, are they “leading” the change programme or “managing” a change project.
Experience with previous cultural change programmes confirms change happens, most easily, from the top down. However, the role is not just about their position in the organisation. The change sponsor:
- Has the competencies and credibility to lead the programme
- Is engaged and understand the organisations strategies and vision
- Has an overall knowledge of the business, the market it operates in, customers and competition
- Must demonstrate the ‘We are already there’ values and behaviours that are aligned to and supportive of the future vision
- Is committed to the change and new ways of working, demonstrating the embodiment of appropriate values, behaviour and ways of relating and communicating with others
Change Sponsor Assessment
What would you add the this short assessment to confirm the change sponsor is the right person complete the following assessment?
Significant Organisation Change
Business Unit Change
Is engaged and understands the organisations strategies and vision
Clearly articulates the change vision in 100 words or less
knowledge of the business, the market it operates in, customers and competition
Demonstrates the ‘We are already there’ values and behaviours that are aligned to and supportive of the future vision
Is committed to the change and new ways of working
Demonstrates the appropriate values, behaviour for relating and communicating with others
Has the ability to influence key stakeholders
Is able to coach and mentor the change management team, then delegate as required
Can define the real value of change, the ROI for the organisations, employees, customers and shareholders